Main Article Content
granulomatous cheilitis, intralesional triamcinolone, benzocaine gel
Introduction: Granulomatous cheilitis is a rare condition, with an unknown etiological pathway, resulting in inflammation of the lips. This case report demonstrates the efficacy of intralesional triamcinolone with this persistent disorder.
Case report: A 19-year old man presented with orofacial swelling on the right side for approximately 18 months. Previous treatments of minocycline and metronidazole were unsuccessful. The patient has no other symptoms and an unremarkable family history. A regiment of topical anesthetic and intralesional triamcinolone showed significant improvement.
Discussion: This rare condition has many possible contributory factors with very few established treatments. Our patient appeared to present either granulomatous cheilitis or monosymptomatic Melkersson-Rosenthal syndrome. Our primary goal was to abate the patient’s symptoms for their comfort, hence the implication of the benzocaine gel.
Conclusion: There are various therapeutic methods described, however, we believe intralesional triamcinolone injections with prior application of topical anesthetic to ease discomfort, could be an alternative treatment.
2. Critchlow WA, Chang D. Cheilitis granulomatosa: a review. Head Neck Pathol 2014; 8(2): 209-13.
3. Kovich OI, Cohen DE. Granulomatous cheilitis. Dermatology Online J 2004: 10(3):10.
4. Van der Waal RIF, Schulten EAJM, Van de Scheur MR, Wauters IMPMJ, Starink TM, Van der Waal I. Cheilitis granulomatosa. J Eur Acad Dermatol 2001: 15(6), 519-23.
5. Chintagunta SR, Sana SN, Bukka KS, Padma S. Cheilitis granulomatosa: Case series. J Dr NTR Univ Health Sci 2017; 6(3): 174-7.
6. Nair PA, Patel TM. Granulomatous cheilitis involving the lower lip. Egypt J Dermatol Venereol 2017; 37(2): 85-8.
7. El-Hakim M, Chauvin P. Orofacial granulomatosis presenting as persistent
lip swelling: review of 6 new cases. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2004; 62:
8. Gupta A, Singh H. Granulomatous cheilitis: Successful treatment of two recalcitrant cases with combination drug therapy. Case reports in Dermatological Medicine 2014: 1-4.
9. Savas J, Sokoloff D, Sanchez KM, Lichtstein DM. Granulomatous cheilitis: A stiff upper lip. Cutis 2015; 96: 18-20.
10. Chandra AR, Mahesh S. Miescher’s cheilitis: A case report with literature review. Journal of Pathology of Nepal 2018; 8: 1313-16.
11. Alajbeg I, Rogulj AA, Hutinec Z. Orofacial granulomatosis treated with intralesional triamcinolone. Acta Dermatovenerol Croat 2011; 19(3): 165-9.
12. Bacci C, Valente ML. Successful treatment of cheilitis granulomatosa with intralesional injection of triamcinolone. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2010;24:363-4