Main Article Content
Goeckerman regimen, checkpoint inhibitor dermatosis, bullous pemphigoid, psoriasiform dermatitis, cytotoxic dermatitis, goeckerman regimen, checkpoint inhibitor, bullous, psorasiform dermatitis, cytotoxic dermatitis
The development of immune checkpoint inhibitors has been a major breakthrough in cancer therapy. Here, we report the effective use of the Goeckerman regimen in the treatment of an evolving immune checkpoint inhibitor dermatosis. The patient is a 67-year-old male who was diagnosed with mesothelioma in April 2015 and was started on pembrolizumab presenting with subsequent skin eruptions (psoriasiform dermatitis and bullous disease). He received eight months of Goeckerman therapy at University of California, San Francisco, Psoriasis and Skin Treatment Center. Within days of starting Goeckerman therapy, he had rapid improvement in his skin lesions along with a reduction in pruritus. The Goeckerman regimen is further discussed as a novel treatment method for checkpoint inhibitor dermatoses.
2. Totonchy MB, Ezaldein HH, Ko CJ, Choi JN. Inverse Psoriasiform Eruption During Pembrolizumab Therapy for Metastatic Melanoma. JAMA Dermatol. 2016;152(5):590-592. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2015.5210
3. Gupta R, Debbaneh M, Butler D, et al. The Goeckerman Regimen for the Treatment of Moderate to Severe Psoriasis. J Vis Exp. 2013;(77). doi:10.3791/50509
4. Crow LD, Perkins I, Twigg AR, et al. Treatment of PD-1/PD-L1 Inhibitor–Induced Dermatitis Resolves Concomitant Eruptive Keratoacanthomas. JAMA Dermatol. 2020;156(5):598-600. doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2020.0176
5. Albergo RP, Gilgor RS. Delayed onset of bullous pemphigoid after PUVA and sunlight treatment of psoriasis. Cutis. 1982;30(5):621-624.
6. Suwarsa O, Herlina L, Sutedja E, Dharmadji H, Hindritiani R, Gunawan H. Concurrence of Bullous Pemphigoid and Psoriasis: A Case Report. Serbian Journal of Dermatology and Venereology. 2018;10:124-128. doi:10.2478/sjdv-2018-0018
7. Zhang X, Mao X, Theresia C, et al. Pemphigus Associated with Psoriasis Vulgaris: A Retrospective Study of Seven Patients and a Review of the Literature. Acta Dermatovenerol Croat. 2018;26(3):226-232.
8. Person JR, Rogers RS. Bullous pemphigoid and psoriasis: does subclinical bullous pemphigoid exist? Br J Dermatol. 1976;95(5):535-540. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2133.1976.tb00865.x
9. Robinson JK, Baughman RD, Provost TT. Bullous pemphigoid induced by PUVA therapy. Is this the aetiology of the acral bullae produced during PUVA treatment? Br J Dermatol. 1978;99(6):709-713. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2133.1978.tb07067.x