Main Article Content
Maskne, COVID 19, Coronavirus, perioral dermatitis, healthcare worker
The COVID-19 pandemic has led to the global adoption of mask wearing to contain he rampant spread of the virus. Certain occupational groups, particularly health care providers, must wear masks for prolonged periods. Alongside this pandemic emerged the use of the all-encompassing term “Maskne”, used to describe mask-related dermatologic pathologies. Although there is an increase in acne and acneiform lesions associated with prolonged facial mask use, “Maskne” may be a misnomer, causing non-dermatologic providers to misdiagnose patients with acne when they, in fact, have perioral dermatitis.
2. Aguilera SB, De La Pena I, Viera M, et al. The Impact of COVID-19 on the Faces of Frontline Healthcare Workers. J Drugs Dermatol. 2020 Sep 1;19(9):858-864.
3. Han C, Shi J, Chen Y, Zhang Z. Increased flare of acne caused by long-time mask wearing during COVID-19 pandemic among general population. Dermatol Ther. 2020 May 29:e13704.
4. Long H, Zhao H, Chen A, et al. Protecting medical staff from skin injury/disease caused by personal protective equipment during epidemic period of COVID-19: experience from China. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020 May;34(5):919-921.
5. Giacalone S, Minuti A, Spigariolo CB, et al. Facial dermatoses in the general population due to wearing of personal protective masks during the COVID-19 pandemic: first observations after lockdown. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2020 Jul 13:10.1111/ced.14376.
6. Foo CC, Goon AT, Leow YH, et al. Adverse skin reactions to personal protective equipment against severe acute respiratory syndrome--a descriptive study in Singapore. Contact Dermatitis. 2006 Nov;55(5):291-4.
7. Tolaymat L, Hall MR. Perioral Dermatitis. 2020 Sep 12. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2020 Jan–. PMID: 30247843.
8. Ollech A, Yousif R, Kruse L, Wagner A, Kenner-Bell B, Chamlin S, Yun D, Shen L, Vivar K, Reynolds M, Paller AS, Mancini AJ. Topical calcineurin inhibitors for pediatric periorificial dermatitis. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020 Jun;82(6):1409-1414.