Main Article Content
Melanoma, Acral lentiginous melanoma, Scalp nodules, Metastases, Asian
Melanoma is the most aggressive form of skin cancer affecting patients worldwide and has the potential to metastasize to virtually any organ in the body. Early detection is of paramount importance to minimize patient morbidity and mortality. However, there has been increasing evidence highlighting that geographical and ethnic variations in the clinical presentation of melanoma do exist. Unlike the Western population, the major subtype of melanoma affecting the Asian population is in fact, acral lentiginous melanoma (ALM) and not superficial spreading melanoma (SSM).We hereby present a case of left hallux subungual melanoma with scalp metastasis. This case underscores the importance of the examination of acral skin and the nail apparatus for melanoma in Asians.
2. Tacha D, Qi W, Ra S, Bremer R, Yu C, Chu J, Hoang L, Robbins B. A newly developed mouse monoclonal SOX10 antibody is a highly sensitive and specific marker for malignant melanoma, including spindle cell and desmoplastic melanomas. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2015 Apr;139(4):530-6.
3. Jelfs PL, Giles G, Shugg D, Coates M, Durling G, Fitzgerald P, et al. Cutaneous malignant melanoma in Australia, 1989. Med J Aust. 1994; 161(3):182-7.
4. Bradford PT, Goldstein AM, McMaster ML, Tucker MA. Acral lentiginous melanoma: incidence and survival patterns in the United States, 1986-2005. Arch Dermatol. 2009;145:427-34.
5. Lim ZV, Tan WPM, Chia HY, Tan WDV, Tan SH. A 20-year retrospective clinicopathologic study on melanoma in Singapore. J Am Acad Dermatol 2019;81:AB3.
6. NM Luk, CL Ho, CL Choi, KH Wong, KH Yu, WK Yeung. Clinicopathological features and prognostic factors of cutaneous melanoma among Hong Kong Chinese. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2004;29(6):600-4.
7. Chen YJ, Wu CY, Chen JT, Shen JL, Chen CC, Wang HC. Clinicopathologic analysis of malignant melanoma in Taiwan. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999;41(6):945-9.
8. Lee HY, Chay WY, Tang MBY, Chio MTW, Tan SH. Melanoma: Differences between asian and caucasian patients. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2012;41(1):17-20.
9. Hemmings DE, Johnson DS, Tominaga GT, Wong JH. Cutaneous melanoma in a multiethnic population: is this a different disease?. Arch Surg. 2004;139(9):968-973.
10. Kato T, Suetake T, Sugiyama Y, et al. Improvement in survival rate of patients with acral melanoma observed in the past 22 years in Sendai, Japan. Clin Exp Dermatol. 1993;18(2):107-110.