Main Article Content
Citations, Bibliometric, peer-review, social media, Altmetric
Background: Standard bibliometric methods used in dermatologic research include impact factor and citations. The Altmetric score is an adjunctive measure of article impact.
Objectives: The purpose of this study is to examine the breadth of societal impact made by scientific articles in dermatology and investigate a correlation between an article’s impact factor and citations, with its Altmetric score.
Methods: We reviewed 15 dermatology journals with the highest impact factors and analyzed the 10 most cited articles from 2013 and 2016 within those journals. We studied the articles’ Altmetric scores, number of citations, and social media mentions. Using Microsoft Excel, we performed statistical analysis with Pearson correlation coefficients and descriptive statistics.
Results: Analysis revealed a significant positive relationship between citation count and Altmetric scores for articles published in 2013 (p=0.0009) and 2016 (p=0.003). Impact factor was also significantly associated with Altmetric scores across both years (p=0.002, p=0.0005).
Conclusions: Altmetric score weakly corresponded with citation count and journal impact factor across cohorts. We conclude that Altmetric scores serve as an additional measurement of article impact in dermatology, though they are insufficient as a replacement for traditional measures at this time.
2. Bornmann L LL. Scientometrics in a changing research landscape: bibliometrics has become an integral part of research quality evaluation and has been changing the practice of research. EMBO Rep. 2014;15:1228e1232.
3. Wang J. Citation time window choice for research impact evaluation. Scientometrics. 2012;94(3):851-872.
4. Altmetric. Altmetric Website. https://www.altmetric.com. Accessed August 2019.
5. Elmore S. The Altmetric Attention Score: What Does It Mean and Why Should I Care?. Toxicol Pathol. 2018;46(3):252-255.
6. Journal Citation Reports, Clarivate Analytics. Available at: https://incites.clarivate.com. Accessed August 2019.
7. Chang J, Desai N, Gosain A. Correlation Between Altmetric Score and Citations in Pediatric Surgery Core Journals. Journal of Surgical Research. 2019;243:52-58.
8. Scopus Sources, Elsevier. Available at: https://www.scopus.com/sources. Accessed August 2019.
9. Nocera, A. P., Boyd, C. J., Boudreau, H., Hakim, O., & Rais-Bahrami, S. (2019). Examining the Correlation Between Altmetric Score and Citations in the Urology Literature. Urology. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2019.09.014
10. Mullins, C. H., Boyd, C. J., & Corey, B. L. (2020). Examining the Correlation Between Altmetric Score and Citations in the General Surgery Literature. Journal of Surgical Research, 248, 159–164. Retrieved January 13, 2020, from 10.1016/j.jss.2019.11.008