Main Article Content
hidradenitis suppurativa, tobacco, passive smoke, secondhand smoke, acne inversa
Hidradenitis Suppurativa (HS) is a chronic inflammatory disease of the skin highly associated with firsthand smoking. Secondhand smoke, defined as the inhalation of smoke from burning a tobacco product or smoke that is exhaled by smokers, and its relationship to HS has not been assessed. This study aims to determine the prevalence of secondhand smoke exposure in the HS population.
In this cross-sectional study (N=136), surveys were both administered in a dermatology clinic and emailed to patients with HS, verruca vulgaris (VV), and atopic dermatitis (AD). Control groups were selected based on secondhand smoke associations: AD has a known association, whereas VV does not.
The survey response rate was 67.3% (N=136). We found that more than half of HS patients (58.73%) were exposed to secondhand smoke within the last 12 months, whereas 38.30% and 30.77% in the AD and VV groups were exposed, respectively (p=0.0209). Additionally, our data did not identify a significant correlation between secondhand smoke and HS disease severity.
Our study is the first to assess the prevalence of secondhand smoke exposure in the HS population. However, due to the limitations of the study design and significant differences between study groups, we were unable to assess the true association between HS and secondhand smoke exposure. While our study did not identify an increased prevalence of secondhand smoke exposure in the HS population, it highlights an area for further investigation evaluating the relationship between passive tobacco exposure and inflammatory skin disease.
2. Miller IM, McAndrew RJ, Hamzavi I. Prevalence, Risk Factors, and Comorbidities of Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Dermatol Clin. 2016;34(1):7-16. doi:10.1016/j.det.2015.08.002
3. Tobacoo Stops With Me TSWM. Differences & Dangers of first, second & thirdhand smoke. Tobacco Stops With Me. https://stopswithme.com/first-second-and-thirdhand-smoke-the-differences-and-dangers/#:~:text=It's%20not%20a%20term%20you,have%20been%20documented%20for%20decades. Published January 3, 2022. Accessed March 27, 2023
4. Vossen ARJV, van der Zee HH, Onderdijk AJ, Boer J, Prens EP. Hidradenitis suppurativa is not associated with the metabolic syndrome based on body type: A cross-sectional study. J Dermatol. 2017;44(2):154-159. doi:10.1111/1346-8138.13572
5. NCI Dictionary of Cancer terms. National Cancer Institute. https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/secondhand-smoke. Published 2022. Accessed July 14, 2022.
6. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health effects of secondhand smoke. Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke. https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/secondhand_smoke/health_effects/index.htm. Published June 14, 2021. Accessed November 3, 2022.