Main Article Content
angiofibromas, Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome, genodermatosis, facial papules, fibrofolliculomas, trichodiscomas
Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome is rare genodermatosis caused by a mutation in the folliculin gene. It is characterized by pulmonary cysts, renal tumors, and a variety of skin manifestations including trichodiscomas, fibrofolliculomas, less commonly reported angiofibromas, and perifollicular fibromas. These cutaneous lesions have overlapping histopathologic features. Here we report a case of a man presenting with facial papules and nonspecific histology found to have Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome and a novel mutation in the folliculin gene. Our aim is to raise awareness of the spectrum of associated cutaneous and pathologic findings in Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome, which are not all included in the diagnostic criteria.
2. Misago N, Kimura T, Narisawa Y. Fibrofolliculoma/trichodiscoma and fibrous papules (perifollicular fibroma/angiofibroma): a revaluation of the histopathological and immunohistochemical features. J Cutan Pathol. 2009;36:943-951.
3. Shvartsbeyn M, Mason AR, Bosenberg MW, Ko CJ. Perifollicular fibroma in Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome: an association revisited. J Cutan Pathol. 2012;39:675-679.
4. Grada A. Multiple cutaneous angiofibromas as predominant manifestation of Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2016;74:AB62.
5. Sattler E, Steinlein O. Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome. In: Adam M, Ardinger H, Pagon R et al., eds. GeneReviews. Seattle (WA): University of Washington, Seattle, 1993-2020.
6. Schaffer JV, Gohara MA, Mcniff JM, Aasi SZ, Dvoretzky I. Multiple facial angiofibromas: a cutaneous manifestation of Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2005;53:S108-S111.
7. DiCicco B, Johnson W, Allred J, Soldano AC, Ramsdell WM. Koenen’s tumor and facial angiofibromas in a case of Birt-Hogg-Dubé syndrome: A cutaneous contribution to growing evidence of a relationship with tuberous sclerosis complex. JAAD Case Rep. 2016;2:196-198.
8. Pithadia D, Treichel AM, Lee CR, Cowen EW, Linehan WM, Moss J, Darling TN. Birt-Hogg-Dubé initially diagnosed as tuberous sclerosis complex. JAAD Case Rep. 2019;5:368-371.
9. Misago N, Narisawa Y. Fibrofolliculoma in a patient with tuberous sclerosis complex. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2009;34:892-894.