Main Article Content
renal cell carcinoma, metastatic RCC, clear cell RCC
Metastasis occurs in 25-50% of patients diagnosed with primary renal cell carcinoma (RCC), although only 6% of RCC metastases manifest on the skin. We present a unique case of a slowly growing clear cell RCC metastasis of the scalp in a middle-aged male that was RCC stain negative. The lesion clinically appeared to be a benign pyogenic granuloma, however, the diagnosis of metastatic clear cell renal cell carcinoma was made based on histology. Because cutaneous metastases may masquerade as other more benign tumors, the physician must be clinically suspicious of vascular appearing lesions on the scalp.
2. Roybal L, MacKenzie K, Warschaw K. A Case of cutaneous metastatic renal cell carcinoma to the scalp. Journal of the American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. 2017; 38: 22-23.
3. Mahmoudi HR, Kamyab K, Daneshpazhooh M. Cutaneous metastasis of renal cell carcinoma: A case report. Dermatology Online Journal. 2018; 18 (5): 12.
4. Spooner J et al. Images-A nose metastasis heralding renal cell carcinoma recurrence 25 years post-nephrectomy. Can Urol Assoc J. 2019. Epub ahead of print. Doi: 10.5489/cuaj.5905
5. Batres E, Knox J, Wolf J. Metastatic renal cell carcinoma resembling a pyogenic granuloma. Journal of the American Medical Association Dermatology. 1978; 114(7): 1082-1083. Doi: 10.1001/archderm.1978.01640190066025.
6. Key Statistics About Kidney Cancer. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/kidney-cancer/about/key-statistics.html. Published February 1, 2020.
7. Kassam K et al. Exophytic parietal skin metastases of renal cell carcinoma. Case Reports in Dermatological Medicine. 2013. doi: 10.1155/2013/196016
8. Klatte T et al. Molecular signatures of localized clear cell RCC to predict disease-free survival after nephrectomy. Cancer Epidermol Biomarkers Prev. 2009; 18: 894-900. Doi: 10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0786
9. Zhu TH et al. Metastatic renal cell carcinoma presenting as multiple pyogenic granuloma-like nodules on the penis. JAAD Case Reports. 2017; 3(5): 451-453. Doi: 10.1016/j./jdcr.2017.06.030
10. McClees S et al. Isolated Nail Dystrophy: An Unlikely Presentation of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. Skin Appendage Disord. 2019; 5: 177-180. Doi: 10.1159/000495121.
11. Jemal A et al. Cancer statistics, 2009. CA Cancer J Clin. 2009; 59:225-249.
12. Cardwell L, Bender NR, Sokumbi O. Cutaneous metastases of papillary renal cell carcinoma: A case report and review of literature. J. Cutan. Pathol. 2019; 46(12): 960-964. doi: 10.1111/cup.13546