Main Article Content
Systemic lupus erythematosus, neutrophilic dermatosis, palisaded neutrophilic granulomatous dermatitis, autoimmune, connective tissue disease.
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) is a multi-system disease with a myriad of mucocutaneous and systemic findings. One of the atypical cutaneous manifestations is palisaded neutrophilic granulomatous dermatitis (PNGD). This uncommon condition presents as tender or asymptomatic, flesh-colored, red to violaceous subcutaneous nodules. The diagnosis may be suspected clinically but is confirmed by biopsy. The impact of the disease may be the direct result of pain, psychosocial, cosmetic concerns, or be the initial presentation of an underlying systemic disease. We present a patient with known SLE who developed PNGD. We also review similar clinical and microscopic disease entities with a summative comparison of neutrophilic dermatoses in patients with autoimmune connective tissue diseases.
2. Kalen JE, Shokeen D, Ramos-Caro F, Motaparthi K. Palisaded neutrophilic granulomatous dermatitis: Spectrum of histologic findings in a single patient. JAAD Case Rep. 2017;3(5):425-428.
3. Hawryluk E, Izikson L, English J. Non-infectious Granulomatous Diseases of the Skin and their Associated Systemic Diseases. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2010;11(3):171-181
4. Stiff KM, Cohen PR. Palisaded Granulomatous Dermatitis Associated with Ulcerative Colitis: A Comprehensive Literature Review. Cureus. 2017;9(1):e958. Published 2017 Jan 6. doi:10.7759/cureus.958
5. Verma P, Sharma S, Yadav P, Namdeo C, Mahajan G. Tumid lupus erythematosus: an intriguing dermatopathological connotation treated successfully with topical tacrolimus and hydroxyxhloroquine combination. Indian J Dermatol. 2014;59(2):210. doi:10.4103/0019-5154.127716
6. Gupta P, Saikia UN, Arora S, De D, Radotra BD. Panniculitis: A dermatopathologist's perspective and approach to diagnosis. Indian J Dermatopathol Diagn Dermatol 2016;3:29-41
7. Cohen PR. Sweet's syndrome--a comprehensive review of an acute febrile neutrophilic dermatosis. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2007;2:34.
8. Alirezaei P and Farshchian M. Granuloma annulare: relationship to diabetes mellitus, thyroid disorders and tuberculin skin test. Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol 2017;10: 141-145.
9. Terai S, Ueda-Hayakawa I, Nguyen CTH, Ly NTM, Yamazaki F, et al. Palisaded neutrophilic and granulomatous dermatitis associated with systemic lupus erythematosus: possible involvement of CD163(+) M2 macrophages in two cases, and a review of published works. Lupus 2018;27(14): 2220-2227.
10. Bagherani N and Smoller BR. Association of neutrophilic dermatoses with autoimmune connective tissue disorders: a real concept or an accident coincidence? Glob Dermatol 2016;3: doi: 10.15761/GOD.1000S1009