Main Article Content
Steatocystoma multiplex, cysts, incision, drainage, CO2 laser
Steatocystoma multiplex, an uncommon autosomal dominant disorder, is characterized by numerous asymptomatic skin-colored cystic nodules. The leading hypothesis regarding the pathophysiology of this disease involves a defect at the pilosebaceous duct junction, which leads to cyst formation. Herein, we describe a case of a male patient that presented with steatocystoma multiplex. We examine the cosmetic outcomes of different techniques used in his treatment as well as review the varied therapeutic options available to such patients, including surgical removal, needle aspiration, cryotherapy, isotretinoin, and CO2 laser treatment.
1. Apaydin R, Bilen N, Bayramgürler D, Başdaş F, Harova G, Dökmeci Ş. Steatocystoma multiplex suppurativum: oral isotretinoin treatment combined with cryotherapy. Australas J Dermatol. 2000;41(2):98-100.
2. AlSabbagh MM. Steatocystoma multiplex: A review. Journal of Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery. 2016;20(2):91-9.
3. Covello SP, Smith FJ, Sillevis Smitt JH, Paller AS, Munro CS, Jonkman MF, Uitto J, McLean WH. Keratin 17 mutations cause either steatocystoma multiplex or pachyonychia congenita type 2. Br J Dermatol. 1998;139(3):475-80.
4. Ohtake N, Kubota Y, Takayama O, Shimada S, Tamaki K. Relationship between steatocystoma multiplex and eruptive vellus hair cysts. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1992;26(5):876-8.
5. Statham, B.N., Cunliffe, W.J., 1984. The treatment of steatocystoma multiplex suppurativum with isotretinoin. Br J Dermatol. 3, 246.
6. Rosen BL, Brodkin RH. Isotretinoin in the treatment of steatocystoma multiplex: A possible adverse reaction. Cutis 1986; 40: 115-20.
7. Madan V, August PJ. Perforation and extirpation of steatocystoma multiplex. Int J Dermatol. 2009;48(3):329-30.
8. Rossi R, Cappugi P, Battini M, Mavilia L, Campolmi P. CO2 laser therapy in a case of steatocystoma multiplex with prominent nodules on the face and neck. Int J Dermatol. 2003;42(4):302-4.
9. Choudhary S, Koley S, Salodkar A. A modified surgical technique for steatocystoma multiplex. J Cutan Aesthet Sur. 2010;3(1):25.
10. Lee SJ, Choe YS, Park BC, Lee WJ, Kim DW. The vein hook successfully used for eradication of steatocystoma multiplex. Dermatol Surg. 2007;33(1):82-4.
11. Oertel YC, Scott DM. Fine needle aspiration of three cases of steatocystoma multiplex. Ann Diagn Pathol. 1998;2(5):318-20.
12. Egbert BM, Price NM, Segal RJ. Steatocystoma Multiplex Report of a Florid Case and a Review. Arch Dermatol. 1979;115(3):334–335.