Main Article Content
Cutaneous Malignancy, BCC, Rare histopathology
We report an 88 year-old male with a history of multiple non-melanoma skin cancers who presented for Mohs micrographic surgery with a biopsy proven infiltrative and nodular basal cell carcinoma located on the right posterior ear. During Mohs surgery, frozen sections revealed a typical nodular BCC on stage 1. However, on stage 2, frozen section showed nodular aggregates of regular cuboidal cells with pale cytoplasm with areas mimicking multi-nucleated giant cells. Deeper permanent sections were consistent with BCC with adnexal differentiation. This histopathological presentation of basal cell carcinoma is uncommon and we sought to report the clinical and pathological features of this case.
2. Chu, S.W, Biswas, A. Basal cell carcinomas showing histological features generally associated with cutaneous adnexal neoplasm. J Cutan Pathol 2015;42:1049-1062
3. Peterson, S.C., Eberl, M., Vagnozzi, A.N., Belkadi, A., et. al. Basal cell carcinoma preferentially arises from stem cells with hair follicle and mechanosensory niches. Cell Stem Cell. 2015; 16(4):400-412.
4. Kruger, K., Blume-Peytavi, U., Orfanos, C.E. Basal cell carcinoma possibly originates from the outer root sheath and/or he bulge region of the vellus hair follicle. Arch Dermatol. Res 1999; 291:253-259.
5. Schirren, C.G., Rutten, A., Kaudewitz, P., Diaz, C., McClain, S., Burgdorf, W.H.C. Trichoblastoma and Basal Cell Carcinoma are Neoplasms with Follicular Differentiation Sharing the Same Profile of Cytokeratin Intermediate Filaments. Am J of Dermatopathol. 1997; 19(4):341-350.
6. Onishi, M., Takahashi, K., Maeda, F., Akasaka, T. A case of Basal Cell Carcinoma with outer Hair Follicle Sheath Differentiation. Case Rep Dermatol. 2015;7:352-357.
7. Alsaad, K.O., Obaidat, N.A., Ghazarian, D. Skin Adnexal neoplasms part 1: An approach to tumors of pilosebaceous unit. J Clin Path. 2007; 60:129-144.
8. Obaidat, N.A., Alsaad, K.O., Ghazarian, D. Skin adnexal neoplasms part 2: An approach to tumors of cutaneous sweat glands. J Clin Pathol 2007; 60:145-159
9. Crowson, A.N., Magro, C.M., Mihm, M.C. Malignant Adnexal Neoplasm. Modern Pathol. 2006; 19: S93-S126.