Main Article Content
atypical fibroxanthoma, ear, auricle
Atypical fibroxanthoma (AFX) is a rare, dermal- based mesenchymal neoplasm. Clinically, these tumors are characterized by rapid, exophytic growth and epidermal ulceration.1 Despite striking clinical features and growth pattern, it is considered to be a tumor of low- to intermediate- malignant potential.1-3. We report a case of an 89 year old Caucasian male that had a 1 month history of a rapidly enlarging, pedunculated neoplasm on the scapha of his right ear. Histologic and immunohistochemical analysis of the lesion were consistent with atypical fibroxanthoma. After a biopsy, the patient underwent a complete resection with Mohs micrographic surgery and remains asymptomatic 6 months later. This 3.0 x 2.0 cm lesion emerged over a 4-5 week period, representing the most rapid growing AFX of the external ear reported in the literature.
2. Iorizzo LJ 3rd, Brown MD. Atypical fibroxanthoma: a review of the literature. Dermatol Surg. 2011 Feb;37(2):146-57.
3. Beer TW, Drury P, Heenan PJ. Atypical fibroxanthoma: a histological and immunohistochemical review of 171 cases. Am J Dermatopathol. 2010 Aug;32(6):533-40.
4. Helwig EB. Atypical fibroxanthoma, in tumor seminar: proceedings of 18th annual seminar of San Antonio society of pathologists, 1961. Tex J Med 1963;59:664–7.
5. Anderson HL, Joseph AK. A pilot feasibility study of a rare skin tumor database. Dermatol Surg. 2007 Jun;33(6):693-6.
6. Nguyen CM, Chong K, Cassarino D. Clear cell atypical fibroxanthoma: a case report and review of the literature. J Cutan Pathol. 2016 Jun;43(6):538-542.
7. Murali R, Palfreeman S. Clear cell atypical fibroxanthoma - report of a case with review of the literature. J Cutan Pathol. 2006 May;33(5):343-8.
8. Fretzin DF, Helwig EB. Atypical fibroxanthoma of the skin. A clinicopathologic study of 140 cases. Cancer. 1973 Jun;31(6):1541-52.
9. Goette DK, Odom RB. Atypical fibroxanthoma masquerading as pyogenic granuloma. Arch Dermatol. 1976 Aug;112(8):1155-7.
10. Pesapane F, Nazzaro G, Lunardon L, Coggi A, Gianotti R. Two friends with eroded nodules on the ears: atypical fibroxanthoma case report. An Bras Dermatol. 2015 Jul-Aug;90(4):577-9.
11. Chilukuri S, Alam M, Goldberg LH. Two atypical fibroxanthomas of the ear. Dermatol Surg. 2003 Apr;29(4):408-10.
12. Zogbi L, Juliano C, Neutzling A. Atypical fibroxanthoma†. J Surg Case Rep. 2015 Mar 4;2015(3)