Main Article Content
Pemphigoid, Bullous Pemphigoid, BP, COVID-19 vaccine adverse effects, SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19, Moderna COVID-19 mRNA vaccine, autoimmune bullous disease, anti-laminin gamma-1 (p200) pemphigoid, p200 pemphigoid
As the SARS-CoV-2 vaccinated population increases, there have been many reports of vaccine-induced cutaneous reactions but scarce information on vaccine-induced autoimmune bullous disease. Vaccinations have been associated with the unmasking or development of autoimmune bullous disease; however, there is little data on SARS-CoV-2, specifically. We report a rare case of new-onset pemphigoid in a 70-year-old male following the second dose of the mRNA-1273 vaccine. The patient’s disease has been refractory to treatment, thus the underlying pathophysiology in vaccine-induced pemphigoid is likely unique, and further investigation into this pathophysiology is warranted.
2. Kasperkiewicz M, Woodley DT. Association between vaccination and autoimmune bullous diseases: A systematic review. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2021. Accessed Aug 20, 2021. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2021.04.061.
3. Tomayko MM, Damsky W, Fathy R, et al. Subepidermal blistering eruptions, including bullous pemphigoid, following COVID-19 vaccination. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021. doi: S0091-6749(21)01054-X [pii].
4. Vadalà M, Poddighe D, Laurino C, Palmieri B. Vaccination and autoimmune diseases: Is prevention of adverse health effects on the horizon? EPMA J. 2017;8(3):295-311. Accessed Aug 21, 2021. doi: 10.1007/s13167-017-0101-y.
5. Kridin K, Ludwig RJ. The growing incidence of bullous pemphigoid: Overview and potential explanations. Front Med (Lausanne). 2018;5:220. Accessed Aug 21, 2021. doi: 10.3389/fmed.2018.00220.
6. Kong J, Cuevas-Castillo F, Nassar M, et al. Bullous drug eruption after second dose of mRNA-1273 (moderna) COVID-19 vaccine: Case report. J Infect Public Health. 2021. Accessed Aug 12, 2021. doi: 10.1016/j.jiph.2021.06.021.
7. Kim A, Khan M, Lin A, Wang H, Siegel L, Rozenberg S. New bullous eruptions in a COVID-19 positive patient in an intensive care unit. J of Skin. 2021;5(3):278-282. https://jofskin.org. Accessed Aug 12, 2021. doi: 10.25251/skin.5.3.9.
8. Olson N, Eckhardt D, Delano A. New-onset bullous pemphigoid in a COVID-19 patient. Case Rep Dermatol Med. 2021;2021:5575111. doi: 10.1155/2021/5575111 [doi].
9. Pardi N, Hogan MJ, Porter FW, Weissman D. mRNA vaccines — a new era in vaccinology. Nature reviews. Drug discovery. 2018;17(4):261-279. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29326426. doi: 10.1038/nrd.2017.243.